Monday, February 14, 2011

The End of the Trail


The people who came to see the house this morning, loved it. Funny, they’re from New Jersey and that’s where we’re going. I don’t know if they’re going to buy it. They’re looking at a dozen other properties while they are down here. No property is perfect. In this price range, I know they won’t find something that has it all so it depends on what’s most important to them. The drawback to this place is we only have one bathroom. For me, even with the irritable bladder, that wasn’t as important to me as having real horse facilities. There were a lot of things that were more important to me. You can always make a bathroom. But I don’t know what they’ll decide. They did say I raised the bar.

Oh, but what a pain getting all ready again! I knew enough not to start packing just in case the deal fell through and I’d have to start showing the place again. I figured I’d pack while Kurt was up at the winery house getting the electric and heat on and all that. But I had to do some things. So I spent the last two days putting it back together—putting the cross-ties back up, stuffing things back into the attic, rehanging pictures, unrolling the sisal rug we keep under the table on the deck and unfolding the chairs… Staging. And cleaning. I’m a clean freak but when you’re selling a house and you only have one chance to make a first impression, it’s got to be flawless. Kurt went out on the trails with the tractor and manicured them. He cleaned up all the things in the garage he had prepared to take with him to New Jersey and he parked the farm truck in the back. We made phone calls to people to let them know we’re still in business and canceled people who were waiting, like the movers, homeowner’s insurance people, etc. I had to call the hay lady to see if she still had that hay she had asked if I wanted. Also, I’ve been reviewing and relisting all our house-selling ads and contacting people who inquired. Stuff like that. Now we start the process all over again.

I don’t have any hopes for my buyer coming through. Though she signed a contract agreeing to make every effort to obtain a mortgage, and though she has a down payment, high income, excellent credit and stable jobs, she says she’s not qualified when I tell her about other loan programs I’ve found out about. I don’t know how hard she has been trying. I don’t know if she has been frantically digging online, researching USDA loans and FHA rules and contacting other mortgage brokers like Kurt and I have. Heck, it seems like my online friends are doing more digging! If she’s scrambling, she’s not telling me about it. It looks like it’s over. I think it’s the end of the trail.

We’ve asked the owner of the winery house to give us a house-selling contingency but it’s been a few days now and no answer.

I know we’ll sell this place sooner or later. Spring is coming and it’s gorgeous here in the spring—flowers blooming everywhere, birds singing… We weren’t expecting to sell it so fast anyway. We’d planned to hunker down for the winter. I was surprised I was getting bites on it to begin with. It was the ugliest time of year and we were getting action! Of course I had to tell everybody that we were under contract. At least two people who were interested have already bought a house. That makes me mad. But I know that sooner or later it will go.

All my friends, all my blog buddies, have been so good. Screaming for me, feeling for me, coming up with ideas. I just wish I had my mother. I do think she spoke to me. It was when I was picking up manure in the field. That’s when I do my best thinking. It’s peaceful. It’s dead quiet except for the occasional horse snort and I put the pitchfork down, stop to look at the mountains behind Pearl and Eldon’s field…

All of a sudden I heard my mother say, “It’s all going to work out even better Debi.” It was like she was standing right next to me, whispering in my ear. Either I’m going crazy because I’ve had one bad thing after another happen since we left New Jersey and I’m so frazzled that I’m hearing things. Or my mother really is on my shoulder. Either way, a sense of peace fell over me.

16 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I've always felt that things happen for a reason. So if the deal fell through then another even better one will come along. You have a beautiful place from the pictures here and anyone would love to have it. A few more weeks until Spring and you're sure to make a deal. Good luck and don't give up. I'm sure your mom is right there with you watching out for you.

Christina said...

Of course your mom is on your shoulder.

Wow, what a story you have had the last few weeks. The winery house looks pretty neat and I am sure it will be gorgeous when you are done. The ghosts would do it for me though, they would have to go I'm afraid well because I'm afraid.

I bet you will sell your VA house in no time. I assume you will still be blogging after your move????

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Grey Horse, everyone is telling me that, that everything happens for a reason. I know, it's true. At the least, even if I don't lose the winery house, we won't be moving in the dead of winter. Thanks for the compliment on my place.

Christina, oh yes, I actually hope to blog more often. I'd like to do a diary type thing where I show all the work we're doing as we're going along. I suppose I'm going to have to rename the blog, "A City Girl Goes Country and Then Goes City Again!"

Gilly said...

Selling a house and moving is pure hell.

But your place looks so magical I can't see anybody resisting it for long!

Good luck!

Gail said...

It will happen, when it is time.

qhgirl said...

I'm really glad you have some other nibbles. I have bought and sold a bunch of properties both "by owner" and using a realtor. I would have to say in some cases (like when we bought in California).. it was good to have someone who knew the legal ropes.. but when it came time to sell in Cali..we listed on our own.. no realtor and it worked out fine anyway. Sometimes, it's a little scary to go on your own buying.. you might not "know" what to ask.. we almost bought a place that a realtor "forgot" to tell us that the freshly put in artesian well had high levels of Nitrates.. not cool.. and took a lawyerly letter to get out of it.. but better than ending up with water that we wouldn't want to drink.

Hopefully the sellers of the winery will give you a contingency on selling your house.. to be honest, they really have nothing to lose because they can continue to show the property.. and if someone comes to them with "no contingencies" they can give you a certain amount of time (a few days) to remove the contingency from your contract. That would mean that even if you didn't have a seller.. you could say you were going to be able to buy their place anyway.. (hold two mortgages.. if you could be approved to do so for example). In reality, it doesn't offer you too much protection from them selling the place.. but gives you more a first right of refusal.

You have some great pictures there.. and I can sympathize on the one bathroom thing.. my first house was a 3 br 1 bath on 3 acres with horse facilities.. perfect for a single or a couple.. but "families" that came to look were put off.. even though you certainly could have added on.. it was a simple little ranch! I live right now with one bathroom.. and have no problems with our family.. but folks can be spoiled.. but a true horsey person will understand that the right horse facilities are hard to come by and expensive to build.. moreso than adding one little ole bathroom! Good luck to you.. hope things work out for the best.. whatever the best may be:)

Tanya said...

you know, don't give up hope. i still really feel the winery will come through. it's a tough market right now and the winery is a home that requires a special kind of buyer (like me and you!) that can appreciate it for what it is...the seller is just thinking on it, but i know in a few days you will have your answer and you will be the proud owner of the cute yellow winery!

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Your mother is there with you Debi, and things will work out eventually. I'm sending positive vibes your way and will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Rural Rambler said...

I got you in my prayers Debi! And You already know how I feel about your Mom. She is there, every step of the way.

Beth said...

I have no doubt that your Mom is there with you, Debi, reassuring and comforting you. And I think she's right. It will all work out for the best.

Cynda said...

Oh Debi that farm is so pretty in the spring I know you will sell it sooner or later! I bet the winery house will still be there and if it is not, your mother was right because everthing is going to work out for the best and she is right next to you whispering in your ear. You are not crazy.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I am sorry your deal fell through. Selling a house is so difficult and full of ups and downs.

I have no doubt you will sell. It is just a matter of time! Hang in there.

CountryDew said...

Best of luck to you. I hope that it all works out for you and you're very happy with it. Patience!

Horses Are Our Lives said...

that gave me goosebumps. yes, I believe your mother was there with you. And while you were picking up manure. lol I do like that you said you were at a peaceful time, and that is when she came to you. That had to have been an amazing feeling, so soothing to the soul. good luck with the selling and moving.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Thanks everyone! You guys are the best, always cheering me up.

Quick update--the seller of the winery house won't give us a house-selling contingency. I'm suprised because like Qhgirl said, she could still show it and if she finds a buyer, if I can't "perform," she can sell it to them. So it's no skin off her nose. It doesn't actually benefit me, but I wanted to do it to show my good faith. So I just hope it's still there when I sell this one. I knew I shouldn't have posted that story where I showed you guys the pictures of it! I was afraid I was jinxing myself!

And it's true, my buyer is not trying to get a mortgage. I sent her a lot of information about different programs and information that FHA themselves gave me that actually contradicted what her lender said, but she responded by sending me an e-mail asking for her deposit back.

Cape Coop said...

I hope that you don't have to give her the deposit, as she hasn't tried in good faith to get a mortgage. If you sent her information showing possibilities and she didn't attempt to utilize the information she is in breach of contract. Your attorney can guide you through this. We had a similar issue about 18 years ago in Kendall, Florida. I prevailed, and the deposit funds stayed with us.