Thursday, September 25, 2008

Big Dogs, But Not That Kind

Since my daughter Jamie, the artist, took pictures of her cute little feet in cute little sneakers for her blog (they had polka dots or daisies or something on them, that’s how cute she is), I figured, why can’t I? I have something interesting to say. But before I get to that, here are my feet.



I know. They’re big. They don’t smell or anything though. One time, a friend came over to my house who refused to take her shoes off. I’m still traumatized over that. Everyone knows I’m OCD about my floors and I can’t stand it when people come into my house with their nasty shoes on. It’s not like you can throw your carpet in the washing machine and then hang it out to dry. What? Now I’m supposed to lie down on that carpet and tussle with the dog or sprawl out and watch a movie with the kid after you’ve been walking around in the Wal-Mart parking lot in your new penny loafers? And then you want to come into my house and walk all over my straw-colored sisal, soft as the sheepskin collar on a leather jacket and made out of recycled bottle caps or something? Nah. It’s disgusting. You might as well just keep going and lick the ground while you’re at it.

It never entered my head about smelly feet. My friend started sweating bullets and ignored my carefully and politely worded plea to please just humor me when I asked wouldn’t she rather leave those muddy shoes by the door? She sat there at the kitchen table and I watched her mouth move but I didn’t hear anything she said. I was too busy thinking about the puddle forming underneath her chair. (Believe it or not, there was carpet in that kitchen. It wasn’t actually the kitchen. It was the dinette area; close enough. Hey, we weren’t the ones who installed it—the previous owners put it in. If we would have stayed there, that would have come out with the brass fixtures in the bathrooms and the wallpaper border with the blue geese on it in the spare bedroom.)

Later, someone told me that my friend has stinky feet and you will never, I repeat, never, see her with her shoes off. They’re cute little feet any self-respecting foot fetishist would jump at the chance to massage but that is neither here nor there since you will never see them bare. Like you’ll never see my breasts bare. Which is probably why they stink, if you ask me. Not my breasts. Her feet. They never get any air. And if they’re constantly encased in that cheap crap they try to get us to believe is leather that comes from China but looks like plastic, sometimes called pleather, well, no wonder.

Which led me to the conclusion that there are a lot worse things than having big dogs. Clodhoppers, banana boats, hoofs, puppies, whatever you want to call them. But I digress. The point of this story is to show you my new Converses. It appears, at 48-years-old, I am still happening. I told the salesgirl to bring out two pairs—a seven and a ten, one for Kelly and one for me. Kelly has big feet too. The poor kid doesn’t have a chance. Kurt’s a size twelve and I’m an eight but nine’s so comfortable I buy a ten. Alright, that’s not entirely true anymore. There have been occasions where I found a ten-and-a-half and bought them. Once I even happened upon an eleven and when no one was looking, tried them on. Suddenly, birds were singing and horns were blaring. They were comfortable!

I heard your feet, nose and ears never stop growing. They even keep growing after you’re dead. If that’s true, I would hate to be one of those people who have the job of exhuming bodies when the cops suspect the wrong person is buried there. Dead people with big feet, noses and ears has got to be a horror story. What kind of sick joke is that anyway? The things you want small, keep growing? Why can’t my breasts keep growing? Or even my hair? (Did you know that after a while, hair gets old, breaks off and won’t grow any longer depending on things like genetics and diet? It looks like it stopped growing but it’s actually just breaking off at a certain spot. My hair has never gotten past the middle of my back no matter how much I wanted to be a blonde Crystal Gale when I was sixteen. I had visions of swinging it to and fro and brushing it back with my pinky but no go.)

At any rate, I felt like the Converses took ten years off me. I told the salesgirl I’d wear them home and put my old grandma shoes in the box. Then, feeling cocky, I went into Hot Topic. But you’ve got to draw the line somewhere. I don’t think lime green corsets with black lace edges and skulls-and-crossbones designs would look good on me. I just don’t have the skin tone.


12 comments:

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Lol, isn't it great that gals in their 40's like us can now get away with things like Converse tennis shoes? Can you imagine our mother's trying the same thing? Fourty is the new 20 after all, thank goodness!

Roanoke RnR said...

My daughter always cringes when I sit in the recliner and flex my bare feet saying, "aren't they pretty?" She always replies, "No matter how much your weight fluctuates at least your feet can always look good" in reference to a "compliment" I once received from someone who pretty much said just that. It's become a running joke. Anyway, I've been wearing Converses, well the cheap knock off ones anyway, since I was a teenager. My daughter finally jumped on board but she bought the brand name and wears them with everything, something I couldn't get away with. Shhhh, don't tell anyone, but I still buy t-shirts from Hot Topic.

gingerhillery@mac.com said...

I am afraid that I don't look that great in lime green either, but will have to think about the converse. Would it make me feel 10 years younger? Would it make me look too fashionable at the farmer's market and would my customers feel threatened by my coolness?

Sloan said...

Good for you wearing those sneakers! I always wanted to grow my hair long and be Farrah Faucet!

Clementine said...

Oh Debi - you crack me up! I LOVE your shoes, girl. You should take more pictures of your shoes for your blog! I just got back from a bridal shower this afternoon. I took Caroline with me. We weren't there five minutes before I saw her running around barefoot. Barefoot at a BRIDAL SHOWER! A couple of the older women just looked at me, like, "Your daughter is barefoot... do something" What can I say? She's a Franklin County Chic!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Roanoke, you must be hot if you can still get away with shirts from Hot Topic! You go girl!

Thanks for your responses girls!

Roanoke RnR said...

Deb, as long as I stay away from the "slim" t-shirts I can get away with it. I mean how hot can you really be in an XL ;)

CountryDew said...

I wanted to keep my husband from walking on the carpet in his shoes but failed miserably at it. He thinks the floor is for walking upon.

magicbeanbuyer said...

You crack me up. I have to admit..you're a little cooler than I am now. Even I don't own a pair of Converse sneakers. "Chucks" as the kids on the street call 'em. They're official name is "Chuck Taylor Converse All-Stars"
And they come in all kinds of fun colors! Do you remember when I convinced you to buy a pair of Adidas sneakers when I was in highschool? Those were the IN sneaker of that time.

Speaking of feet always growing...I swear I was a 7.5 in highschool and now I'm an 8.5 sometimes 9 depending on the shoe. Actually..I think my feet are more abnormally wide than anything else, so I end up having to buy a bigger shoe to accomodate that. This is all your fault!!

Oh! And if you're not brave enough for the lime green corset, might I recommend a nice studded belt. Those are all the rage. hehe..

Amy Hanek said...

Oh come on... Hot Topic? I was never young enough to go there. I was always a Gap-girl though.

I completely understand about the "Big Dogs." My mother wears a ten and I wear a nine. I have a friend and she just turned thirty-one and she wears and eleven. Don't tell anyone though. She'd kill me.

Great post Debi and you can check out my blog now. I finally got off my a** and called my blog-cation over. Thanks for the kick in the rear.

Kate said...

hilarious-- made me giggle so hard that my toes wiggled (from inside my Converse, of course).

Thanks for finding me over on The Blankie Chronicles-- I'll be back to check for that post you mentioned:)

Matthew Celestine said...

Well done for bringing the subject of shoes-off up.

There is nothing OCD about not wanting people walking on your floor with shoes on.